Please note: the USFS is issuing a closure order for the White Mountain National Forest due to potentially dangerous conditions caused by Hurricane Irene as the storm passes through the area. The WMNF will close at 6 PM on Saturday, August 27th and will remain closed through Monday, August 29th.
All WMNF facilities will be CLOSED to the public including the trail system. This includes all backcountry shelters, which are being vacated.
The AMC will also close all eight White Mountain Huts, Joe Dodge Lodge, and Highland Lodge for this same period of time. The closings will continue through all of Sunday August 28th. The reopening of these facilities will depend on conditions following the storm.
Update 8/26/11, 11:32 a.m.: From the U.S. Forest Service:
Due to the threat of extreme weather associated with Hurricane Irene the White Mountain National Forest HAS BEEN CLOSED effective 6PM Saturday August 27, 2011 through midnight Monday August 29, 2011.
Current National Weather Service projections call for the weather event to reach New Hampshire on Sunday, August 28, 2011.
• This closure is to ensure public safety and effective emergency operations. The closure includes all trails, campgrounds, developed sites, huts, shelters, and ski areas.
• The storm event is expected to bring heavy rain and high winds which will make backcountry travel and camping extremely hazardous due to swollen streams, dangerous crossings, and potential flooding. Road systems will be vulnerable to wash outs and compromised road shoulders.
• High winds are predicted that will cause trees and limbs to blow down in campgrounds, along trail systems, and across roads.
• Ability to conduct Search and Rescue operations will not be possible Sunday during the height of the storm.
• Please dial 911 to report an emergency. Please report any storm damage to the Forest Service by calling (603) 536-6100. In case of a power outage, call (603) 536-3693.
Friday, August 26, 2011
Avalanche, ice fall, and crevasses are among the hazards found in Mt. Washington’s Tuckerman Ravine in springtime. Proper preparation and aw...
Why have woman-only outdoor adventures taken off? It's got a lot to do with the camaraderie, as AMC's women's weekend participan...
Tackle Monadnock, Cardigan, and more of Southern New Hampshire’s Best Hikes with updated trail guide from AMC BooksFrom the editor of the best-selling AMC White Mountain Guide comes the fully revised and updated fourth edition of AMC’s Southern New Hampsh...