8/29/11 Updates from AMC Destinations:
* Highland Lodge in Bretton Woods, NH, will re-open Tuesday; access will be limited to the Twin Mountain/Bretton Woods side (via Rte 302 from the west) for the foreseeable future due to extensive damage to Route 302 east of Highland Lodge in Crawford Notch State Park.
* Maine Wilderness Lodges (Little Lyford, Medawisla, Gorman Chairback) will re-open Tuesday. Roads are damaged but passable and crews are working today to remove fallen trees and repair eroded sections of the roads.
* Joe Dodge Lodge/White Mountain Huts:
All Huts are accessible from the main trailheads (UPDATED 8/29, 8:15 PM: Note: Zealand Road is closed and will remain so until further notice. Conditions on the Gale River Road are uncertain.) We have not yet surveyed the AT between the Huts but expect similar findings. Current expectation is that AMC will re-open the Huts, along with Joe Dodge Lodge/Pinkham, on Tuesday after the midnight WMNF closure timeframe concludes.
AMC crews will be working to clear blowdowns as noted below ASAP.
Current conditions on primary routes to AMC Huts:
Carter Notch Hut: 19 Mile Brook Trail - the 2 bridges are out but water is low and passable; erosion in first mile especially; 3 minor blowdowns
Madison Spring Hut: Valley Way - some deep erosion, 3 minor blowdowns
Lakes of the Clouds: Ammonoosuc - A few blowdowns; water crossings on trail but passable
Mizpah Spring Hut: Crawford Path - some blowdowns
Zealand Spring Hut: Zealand - wet at Zealand bridge but passable; road condition unknown
Galehead: Gale River Trail - new trail section muddy; access road OK
Greenleaf: Old Bridle Path - 5 blowdowns but passable; lower section below Falling Waters junction heavily eroded but passable
Lonesome Lake: Lonesome Lake Trail - Good
Hermit Lake Shelter: Tuckerman Ravine Tr. - A few blowdowns, water on the Headwall.
* Cardigan Lodge in Alexandria, NH, will re-open Tuesday. Road is damaged but passable.
* UPDATED 8/29, 5:04 PM: Mohican Outdoor Center in Blairstown, NJ, will remain closed until Friday, 9/2, due to downed power lines and road flooding in the area.
* Three Mile Island and Cold River Camp will re-open Tuesday for the Fall season.
* Echo Lake Camp has canceled their last week of camp and is closing for the season.
* Noble View, Ponkapoag, and Harvard Cabin report little or no damage and have re-opened.
* Fire Island Cabin remains closed.
AMC continues to gather and assess information about conditions near Pinkham Notch, backcountry conditions in the Whites, and from AMC volunteer-managed facilities. We will continue to post updates here as they come in.
Notice: The AMC will be closing the following destinations on Saturday, August 27th through Monday, August 29th (Tuesday, August 30th for Maine destinations) due to potentially dangerous conditions caused by Hurricane Irene as the storm passes through the Mid-Atlantic and New England:
Mohican Outdoor Center, Blairstown, NJ
Cardigan Lodge, Alexandria, NH
Highland Lodge, Bretton Woods, NH
Joe Dodge Lodge, Gorham, NH
All eight White Mountain Huts
All backcountry shelters in the WMNF, Mahoosucs, and Maine 100-Mile Wilderness Region
Updated 8/26/11, 1:53 p.m.: All volunteer-managed facilities in the impacted area, including: Fire Island Cabin, Cold River Camp, Echo Lake Camp, Three Mile Island, Noble View Outdoor Center
Updated 8/26/11, 3:23 p.m.: Little Lyford Lodge & Cabins, Medawisla Wilderness Lodge & Cabins, and Gorman Chairback Lodge & Cabins near Greenville, ME will be closed Saturday night through Tuesday morning. Any guests planning to arrive at Little Lyford, Gorman, or Medawisla on Tuesday should check with AMC reservations on the status of road conditions into the lodges. Current guests may opt to stay at the lodges to avoid having to drive home into the storm. Our staff will work to accommodate guest needs remaining at the lodges.
AMC locations will remain staffed to provide emergency shelter as required, but all visitors on Saturday will be advised to seek alternative shelter.
AMC Reservations staff are contacting all guests with reservations at these locations to notify them of the closures.
Monday, August 29, 2011
View from Orange Mountain | photo by Steve Smith Searching for a day hike that's easy to get to and serves up an "off-the-beat...
Tanner Pelletier spent this summer working as an intern for AMC, helping to share the beauty of New Hampshire’s White Mountains with the res...
AMC and the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation are in discussion about a potential lease with the Division to construct, operate...